Friday, April 22, 2016

New Release... Up in Flames by Kelly Hashway (Book 3)


Banner
Up In Flames Excerpt
Logan
“Concentrate, man, or I’ll take your head off.”
Jeremy’s warning sounds more like taunting, but at least he hasn’t been at my throat for the past four days. Everyone’s too wrapped up in training to remember I’m the guy who stole Cara’s virginity. I’m thankful for at least that.
“Why do you guys seem to think a few days of training is enough for me to fend off your attacks? You can create fire for God’s sake.” I dodge the fireball Jeremy hurls at my head and tuck into a roll across the gym floor. Garret closed off the P.A.L. building so we can train without having to worry about burning down our houses in the process. Garret also managed to get some fire resistant materials, including heavy duty welding blankets and curtains, thanks to a friend over at the fire department, and covered the walls and floor in the stuff. We’re tripping over it left and right but if we can fight under these circumstances, we should be golden under normal conditions.
“You’ve got to learn quickly or the Hunters will gut you with your own dagger.” Jeremy charges me, his flaming palms reaching for my chest. I dodge and swing at his back.
“You’re ash!” I yell, reveling in the victory that’s long overdue. Jeremy’s been kicking my ass for days.
“Not bad,” he says, walking away. “I’m starving. Let’s call it quits and get some lunch.”
“Not yet,” Cara says, walking into the center of the floor to meet me. “My turn.”
“No way. I’m not fighting you, Cara.” I start for the door, where Jeremy is waiting.
“Why not? Afraid to lose to a girl?” Her tone is equal parts taunting and flirting.
I stop but don’t face her.
“You’re not using the dagger, so you can’t really hurt me, right?”
“Not happening. Jeremy and I vote for lunch and you know the rules. You can’t stay behind on your own.”
“Actually, I think I’d like to see this,” Jeremy says, crossing his arms and leaning back against the door. “Kick his ass, Sis.”
“I’m not fighting her. End of story.”
“Because she’s a girl? Or because you’re afraid she won’t sleep with you again if you beat her?” Jeremy cocks his brow at me.
I step toward him, and he doesn’t even budge. He’s not the least bit intimidated by me. “I’m not going to fight her because I love her. I get that she’s your sister and you think you’re protecting her, but you don’t have to worry about me hurting her.”
“Yeah, because you never have, right?” He leans forward so his breath is in my face.
“Never intentionally.”
“Enough, guys.” Cara walks over to us. “We’re supposed to be a united front, remember? Us against the Hunters. Neither of you is any better than the other, and neither of you is going to hurt me. Got it? We’re on the same side.”
The door opens behind Jeremy, making him stumble, and Garret walks in. “Everything okay here?” He scans the room. “I kind of thought you two would destroy the place.”
“Can’t. Cara won’t let us,” Jeremy says, his voice laced with annoyance.
Garret laughs. “Playing the mediator, are you, Cara?”
“Something like that, but...” She looks at me. “Logan is too chicken to spar with me.”
“Oh, really?” Garret doesn’t sound surprised, which pisses me off.
“How can I fight my girlfriend? One, it’s sick, and two—”
“You’re either afraid of hurting her or your ego can’t handle the thought of losing to her,” Garret says.
“That’s pretty much what I told him.” Jeremy nudges Garret in the ribs. “Hey, want to get some food at the café while these two work out their issues?”
I’d love some time alone with Cara. It seems like we’ve been chaperoned every second for the past few days. First by Anton, and then by the Phoenixes. I still feel bad for blowing Anton off so much that he went back to New York. He claimed he couldn’t keep disappointing the ladies, but I know he was fed up with me. I wish I could tell him the truth, come clean about why I’m being a shitty best friend. Except, if I did, I’d be a shitty boyfriend and Guardian.
Cover


Kelly Hashway:

Author Photo
Kelly Hashway grew up reading R.L. Stein’s Fear Street novels and writing stories of her own, so it was no surprise to her family when she majored in English and later obtained a masters degree in English Secondary Education from East Stroudsburg University. After teaching middle school language arts for seven years, Hashway went back to school and focused specifically on writing. She is now the author of three young adult series, one middle grade series, and several picture books. She also writes contemporary romance under the pen name Ashelyn Drake. When she isn’t writing, Hashway works as a freelance editor for small presses as well as for her own list of clients. In her spare time, she enjoys running, traveling, and volunteering with the PTO. Hashway currently resides in Pennsylvania with her husband, daughter, and two pets.
Links:
Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/1Pj94LS

 8c16a-giveaway2
Raffle Copter Giveaway

1 comment: